4/09/2008

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!

The coronation is now complete, arise King BIFFO. Brian Cowen is the 7th leader that Fianna Fail has had since they became a splinter group.



There has been constant speculation about who will be in and out when it comes to his cabinet; I don’t suspect much blood letting on his part.

I would love to see Mary Harney and others depart the scene but BIFFO is not stupid, he will use them as a buffer between Fianna Fail and the electorate.

I see that former Taoiseach Albert Reynolds, possibly the best Taoiseach that Ireland has ever had, has endorsed his one time protégé.

Albert and Cowen are both members of the Country and Western division of Fianna Fail and it was Albert who first gifted Cowen with a Cabinet post.

Albert has this to say about Cowen

“He was very bright. He was never behind the door in giving his view, whether you like it or not.

“He was that sort of man and that’s the sort of man who is good for politics.”


He added: “I’m very proud of him and I think the country will be very proud of him too.”

I’m not holding my breathe Albert but we’ll wait and see.

Sinn Féin Dáil leader Caoimhghín Ó'Caoláin has urged a new direction in Government policy following on from Cowen’s coronation.

"I congratulate Brian Cowen on his appointment this morning as the new leader of Fianna Fáil. His appointment should offer the Irish people a fresh opportunity for a new direction in Government policy.

" We need a change in direction in the Government’s social and economic policy. Such change must include the delivery of a truly equitable health service, the prioritisation of education and other public services and abandoning the privatisation agenda."

I have heard it said that Cowen is a good “Republican”; only time will tell if that is the 32 county or the partitionist variety.

Going by previous leaders of Gombeen PLC, Albert excluded, I suspect it will be the partitionist variety.

No comments: