4/09/2008

Freedom is more important than sport

I was intrigued by the scenes from London at the weekend in relation to the Olympic torch relay.



The Free Tibet Campaign quite rightly protested against this event because of China’s human rights abuses in Tibet. There were further altercations in Paris and San Francisco as well.

This organised campaign has been so successful that Olympic chiefs are now thinking about scrapping the event.

There has been a large amount of speculation in relation to a proposed boycott of the Olympic Games in China, or at least the opening ceremony anyway.

I’m of two minds in relation to boycotts. I personally don’t believe that they work and because of that I normally side with caution when they are mentioned.

There is no denying the serious abuse that China has inflicted on the Tibetan people. I would prefer to see Western nations place political and economic pressure, of what ever kind, on China.

If a boycott does indeed occur I will have huge sympathy for the athletes who have invested huge amounts of time, money and energy for the games.

I also place considerable blame on the Olympic committee who awarded China with the games in the first place.

That said the welfare of the Tibetan people must come before personal enrichment and I would support what ever action that people feel will bring an end to the misery of the Tibetan people.

If that amounts to a boycott then I believe it should be supported and supported by all.

No comments: