3/26/2008

A matter of conscience

I see that the subject of embryonic stem cell research has once again raised its head. The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill is due before the House of Commons shortly and once again the Catholic Church is leading the way on this issue.



Pressure from the Church and Catholic Ministers has forced Brown to introduce free votes in three key areas of the bill.

MP's will have a free vote when it comes to the sections on hybrid animal/human embryos, "survivor-sibling" embryos and the role of the father.

Embryonic stem cell research is a problem for me; I have yet to hear a single argument which proves that this type of research is more successful than adult stem cell research.

As someone who believes that all human life is precious and that life begins at conception I can't abide the manner in which certain people treat human life.

This bill has three key areas for me which present a problem.

The issue of hybrid animal/human embryos is a non starter; it's an attack upon the integrity of human life and dignity.

The suggestion that you would create a child with the correct tissue match in order to save a sick brother or sister is repulsive. Human beings are not just spare parts, are we honestly now saying that one human life is worth more than another?

Should a human be created just for his/her body parts?

The last piece of this legislation which I have a problem with is the proposed removal of the father.

Under the 1990 Act clinics must take into account "the need of a child for a father" yet this bill proposes to remove the part. Part of me understands why this is being suggested. I have already discussed the Evans case on this blog before.

That aside I don't believe that we should remove from legislation the need of a child for a father. What we should do is to remove the need for both parents permission at every stage.

Once you agree to the fertilisation that should be that. If that was always the case then Natallie Evans would have a child this day.

Some MP's are also considering using this bill in order to make abortion more available. That is unacceptable and I would hope that any MP of conscience would oppose such moves.

Supporters of this legislation have suggested that this could pave the way for a whole host of cures including a cure for Alzheimer's.

I watched my Grand father die a little more each day with this terrible disease; it is very prevalent in my family. I would do all in my power to find a cure for it but there is always a cost to be paid.

In this case the cost is just too high.

No comments: