2/23/2008

Why would you be surprised?

I see that Martin McGuinness has said that he would have killed every single British soldier in Derry after Bloody Sunday.



"There is no doubt whatsoever that in the aftermath of Bloody Sunday there was a renewed determination to oppose the British Army and the RUC,"

"If I had of had the opportunity to kill every single British soldier that was on the streets of Derry I would have killed every single one of them without any difficulty whatsoever."

Now I am sure that we will hear the usual pious condemnations from the usual quarters about this revelation, or lack thereof, from Martin.

Let's just think back to the facts of Bloody Sunday. 13 innocent people, 6 of whom were minors, were murdered by British Paratroopers on the streets of Derry that day. Another died of injuries a few months later.

They were marching for civil rights and this foreign army of occupation shot them because of that, some of them in the back as a further sign of cowardice.

As a former member of Oglaigh Na hÉireann I would be more surprised if Martin had felt any other way.

I wasn't born at the time of Bloody Sunday but my father told me that the anger on the streets was so raw that you could almost taste it.

Derry City coroner, retired British army Major Hubert O'Neill, issued a statement at the completion of the inquest into the people killed.

"This Sunday became known as Bloody Sunday and bloody it was. It was quite unnecessary. It strikes me that the Army ran amok that day and shot without thinking what they were doing. They were shooting innocent people.

These people may have been taking part in a march that was banned but that does not justify the troops coming in and firing live rounds indiscriminately. I would say without hesitation that it was sheer, unadulterated murder. It was murder."

No comments: