12/15/2007

Pope attacks climate change prophets of doom

Pope Benedict XVI has attacked the climate change lobby for what he claims is scaremongering.

He has argued that any stance taken on climate change must be based on firm evidence and not on dubious ideology.

Leaving aside the irony from the Holy Father in relation to a man of faith attacking others for a lack of evidence I do believe that he may have a point.

I have to say that I have yet to be convinced one way or another on the whole issue of climate change.

Now I have no problem in accepting that it is happening, once I have been presented with clear facts that is.

From my perspective there are too many holes in the arguments thus far.

I have heard it said this week that 2007 was the hottest year since 1850.

My immediate reaction is why was 1850 so hot? Surely the climate change lobby don't expect us to believe that is was as a result of CO2 emissions?

I watched a nature show on the BBC a few weeks ago and it spoke about the earth going through different periods of hot and cold since life began and suggested a multitude of factors for this.

I have no problem with people wishing to tackle CO2 emissions and other harmful side effects of human activity however I would like a little bit of clarity and sensible conversation on the whole issue of climate change.

So far I believe that the climate change lobby have over egged the pudding on this issue.

No comments: