9/26/2007

Manners matter most

That's according to a recent survey commissioned by Debrett`s. 63% of women cited manners as the most important factor in their choice of a male partner.



The poll also found that 29% were wooed by intelligence and only 5% plumped for good looks (as Jim Royle would say, "My arse!!").

87% rejected the notion that "having good manners is old-fashioned".

I am a personally very wary when people speak about good manners because quite often I suspect they don't understand what they really mean.

I would consider myself to have good manners, I was raised the old fashioned way. I will always get up off my seat on a bus or tube for an elderly person or a woman. I always open doors etc and I never let a woman pay, I blame my mother myself lol.

What I do not follow however is what I would call "middle England manners". Those hypocritical niceties that are observed in front of people yet as soon as behind closed doors they say all manner of horrible things.

I'm a firm believer in being straight with people (no matter if they like it or not) and I expect the same in return.

It wasn't until I went to England that I realised just how blunt I was, although perhaps they are just overly sensitive. They girls would always say, "we'll ask Chris, he tells the truth no matter how brutal it is".

I have never had any time for people who ask you for your opinion when in fact they are just looking you to tell them their opinion.

Fake manners serve nobody, I'll take the truth any day over fake niceties.

Many who would not take the last cookie would take the last lifeboat.
~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

No comments: