9/25/2007

Junior Gombeen men have much to learn

I had to laugh when I read that a member of Ógra Fianna Fail claimed that they were "considerably outstripping" Sinn Féin at Magee's freshers' fair.


BBC described Emmet Doyle from Derry as an "activist", he couldn't be active in Derry as Fianna Fail are still a partitionist party and don't stand in Derry.

According to Doyle they signed up 41 members on the day. Now many of you may be impressed by that figure as most Cumann's are 20 members in size.

What many of you may fail to understand though is the unique circumstances of a University freshers' fair.

As the former Chair of the QUB Sinn Féin Sheena Campbell Cumann I have attended my fair share of freshers' days. What happens is that while a large number sign up less than 1 in 10 will ever become active members.

I can remember two years ago the DUP boasting in QUB about signing up 25o members, they never had anywhere close to that number as active members.

Had we ever only signed up 41 members on freshers' day I would have viewed that as a bad day, a very bad day.

I intend to wait a few months before I contact comrades in Magee to see just how many of those 41 are still there and active, my guess is something closer to 4

No comments: