7/21/2007

Deathly Hallows end the tale

I firstly want to apologise for my lack of blogging but I have been flat out with one thing or another. Today marks an end to one of the best book series, save for Lord of the Rings, with the publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.



Despite constant ribbing from many of my friends I am proud to say that I am a massive Harry Potter fan, not the films or other such nonsense but the books themselves.

It was because of this love of the books that I pre-ordered the new book from Waterstones in Newry. With publication due today I joined the long line of people outside the Quays at 12 O'Clock last night waiting to be one of the first to read the last book.

The crowd must have been about a thousand strong and also included our Minister for Education. Despite the fact that I was towards the middle of the line I had arranged to meet a friend from Uni who is also a massive fan.

She arrived late, as usual, and instead of joining the line with me refused to skip and went to the back. A very weird quality for a future solicitor, I blame the nuns myself. However being a gentleman I joined her at the end of the line.

Due to this very unusual display of chivalry on my part it meant that we were the last people to get our copy at 3:00 am this morning.

We did however have to question how sad was it for two 22 year old trainee solicitors to be standing in line waiting for a Harry Potter book at three in the morning.

So by half three I was sitting at home with a nice drink and a cigar starting into the last book.

I finished the book a couple of hours ago and only one word can describe it, fantastic.

No need to worry, I shall not be providing details in case any of my readers have not yet read the book.

I really hope the Church does not come out again and condemn these books, they have got many children and adults reading and that can only be a good thing.

They do not send one towards witchcraft or wizardry, the just provide a lot of pleasure for many readers. The books hold many good moral messages in relation to friendship, loyalty, love and justice.

The fact that children will read and absorb these lessons can only be a good thing.

No comments: