4/23/2007

Ferris caught drink driving

I see that Sinn Féin TD for Kerry-North Martin Ferris has been caught drink driving by the Gardaí. Martin said he was embarrassed and disappointed with his actions which led to his arrest.



He should be!

In an interview on local radio, Martin admitted that he had drank two pints and a glass of red wine in the course of Saturday night. He said he is awaiting results of analysis on a urine sample that he gave to Gardaí.

Martin said that he is hoping he will be okay but added that if the results show he was over the limit he would be putting his hands up. He also said he would commend the Gardaí for what they are doing.

He said they did the right thing and that, if the results of the analysis show that he was over the limit, he would owe the people of North Kerry a huge apology.

In my opinion you should never drink and drive, one drink is one too many!

I am not going to sit here and attack Martin though as that would make me a hypocrite. While I have never been drunk while driving I have been in cars with people who have and I am not just talking about a few pints either.

I have not done so for a long time and I will never do so again as I have seen the carnage that can follow drink driving. I have attended the wake and funeral of people who have been killed as a result of drink driving.

There is a culture of drink driving in the country, more so in rural areas, that has to be stopped. The main offenders are not young people though, it is older members of our society.

I think that Martin had done a lot of excellent work for the people of North Kerry and he is a very able TD. On this occasion however he has shown a complete lack of judgement and should be ashamed with himself.

A single death on the roads as a result of drink driving is one too many

No comments: