3/27/2007

Rubicon has been crossed

I'm sorry that I have not blogged on this very surreal day but I was out having a few drinks with a friend before I return home for Easter.



Today's historic meeting between Sinn Féin and the DUP is truly ground breaking. The picture of Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams is one which I never thought I would see.

Following on from the DUP's commitment to enter a power-sharing executive in this very public and unequivocal way there is no doubt in my mind that we have seen a passing of the Rubicon on this day.

Nobody is under any illusions as to what the relationship between Sinn Féin and the DUP will be like, it will not be pleasant.

However the electorate has spoken and their wishes should be respected and that wish was for an end to British direct rule minsters

People often use words like "historic" and "ground breaking" all too often. As a result they loose their meaning, not so today.

I hope that today will lead to better prospects and a brighter future for all of us. An island which will be at peace between the Orange and Green.

An island where equality reigns supreme and where injustice is consigned to the dustbin of history.

This process is only heading in one direction, a United Ireland. Let's hope that the years between now and then can be spent getting to know one another for the first time.

No comments: