3/27/2007

Allister leaves DUP

I see that Jim Allister, until a couple of hours ago the DUP MEP, has left his party because of their agreement to enter a power-sharing executive with Sinn Féin.

I managed to watch his press conference live on the BBC internet site and found it interesting to say the least, he certainly does not like Mark Davenport!

You can watch his resignation speech here.

Now I know that a few of you may expect me to gloat at this event, I don't intend to do that.

I have little time for Jim Allister, I find his fundamentalist religious views to be pious in the extreme considering some of his, ahem, activities.

I view him as a cold fish, someone who is quite obviously intellectually intelligent but lacking in the warmth of human kindness.

That being said I respect the fact that he has followed his conscience, an all too rare occasion these days.

What now for the Free P branch of the DUP?

I always said that the DUP would suffer because they allowed ex-UUP people to set their agenda. The DUP's problem is also that of Unionism.

Short-term benefit always harms them in the long run, or as a man down my part of the country likes to say
"You have to think of the bigger picture!"

No comments: