2/10/2007

Páirc an Chrócaigh

Tomorrow will be first time that Rugby has ever been played in Croke Park. Most of you will know that I opposed the GAA move to relax Rule 42.



My opposition was not based on the fact that Rugby and Soccer are garrison sports, it was based on the fact that the IRFU and the FAI showed cheek beyond belief.

Why was it that the amateur sporting body was expected to save the blushes of the two supposedly "professional" sporting bodies ?

The IRFU and the FAI are totally incompetent and couldn't run a piss up in a brewery!

That being said the association made their decision and it is time to move on. One of the plus sides of Rule 42 being relaxed is that people who would otherwise never attend Croke Park for Gaelic Games will have a chance to experience some, if not all, of the magic.

I am thinking of people like David Vance, who has said he will he will there tomorrow. Now I hope David leaves tomorrow with a different attitude towards the GAA, though I doubt it.

As a fellow South Armagh man I hope that David will don his Orange Sash and join his fellow Orangemen in the summer when we head down to Croker to watch Armagh play.

I support Ireland in what ever sport they play apart from cricket, I never liked cricket!

I will be rooting for Ireland tomorrow when they take on France in what promises to be a key game along the road towards the Grand Slam.

That being said I don't believe that any sport can compare to Gaelic games in terms of enjoyment.

I don't believe that if Ireland played in the world cup final and won in Croke Park that it would even begin to match the joy that I felt watching Armagh lift Sam for the first time in 2002.

Maybe that's just me though

No comments: