2/25/2007

Celtic tigers maul English pussies

Yesterday was a day for new experiences, Ireland played England at Croke Park and I had a few drinks in Lisburn. With my exams over I flew back into Belfast yesterday and ended up in a bar/restaurant in Lisburn.



While waiting for the steak to come out I realised the anthems were about to start in Croke Park. Now there has been a lot of nonsense this last week about Ireland fans being disrespectful when the English/British national anthem was played.

I myself was wondering how the fans in the pub I was in were going to react when Amhrán na bhFiann was played. To my surprise there was complete silence for both Anthems and a huge roar for Ireland when the game started.

It was a very surreal experience for me

Ireland were magnificent yesterday, after the heartache of the loss to France the game against the old enemy proved to be one of the best games I have ever seen. With the Celtic Tigers in full roar, the poor English just didn't have a chance.

I received a text afterwards from a friend which amused me

"Gerry Adams is to lay a wreath in Croke Park tomorrow to remember the fifteen Englishmen massacred there today"

A great day, a dignified occasion and a fantastic result.

It would seem that God saved the Green and forgot about the Queen!

No comments: