12/06/2006

St Paul's tomb found

I see that Vatican archaeologists have unearthed a sarcophagus they believe contains the remains of the St Paul.



The sarcophagus, which dates back to at least 390AD, had been buried beneath Rome`s second largest basilica, St Paul Outside the Walls basilica.

Giorgio Filippi, the Vatican archaeologist who headed the project at St Paul Outside the Walls basilica had this to say.

"Our objective was to bring the remains of the tomb back to light for devotional reasons, so that it could be venerated and be visible,"

I think this is excellent news for all Catholics and indeed all Christians.

When I was in Rome perhaps my favourite memory, apart from the Sunday blessing from the Holy Father, was standing above the remains of St Peter at his altar in the basilica.

It's a weird but beautiful felling when you find yourself standing above the remains of the founder of the Church.

I am sure it would be a similar experience with St Paul.

No comments: