11/11/2006

America regains its soul

I was delighted this week with the election results from the American Midterms. The Democrats have regained control of both houses for the first time in over 12 years.



A massive blow to George Bush's "Republican party" who have been plagued with sex and money scandels all the way through these elections.

It would seem that many Democrats believe that this is a first step towards taking back the Whitehouse in 2008.

I am not really too enamoured with either of the political parties in America, neither would represent my views fully. That said I do loathe the bible belt Republicanism of Bush and Co.

The quest for full Independence in this country has always be a bi-partisan approach with Sinn Féin having supporters in both political parties.

Peter King, a Republican Senator from New York, is perhaps one of our biggest supporters and while I would disgree with a lot of his domestic and foreign policy he has been a staunch ally in the most difficult of times.

I do however hope that Hillary Clinton, who seems like the heir apparant for the Democrat nomination, does not get elected as President in 2008.

I was very supportative of Bill Clinton when he was President, he was very good on the GFA and the Irish question in general. There is just something about Hillary that I don't like, I can't quite put my finger on it but it's there.

That said I do believe that the Republicans will maintain control of the Whitehouse with the nomination of John McCain and Rudy Giuliani .

No comments: