7/25/2006

Do not go gentle into that good night!

I know that we mostly talk about politics on this site but after reading David's very touching post on ATW I started to think about one of my favourite poems. 'Do not go gentle into that good night' by Dylan Thomas.



Now for many people this may seem like a very dark poem for a lad of 21 years but I find it an enormous source of comfort and inspiration and while it does deal with death I find that it has resonance outside that sphere as well.

It tells us not to go gentle into that good night, to rage against the dying of the light. For me that post applies to many circumstances. It tells me to never give up, stand up for what you believe in and if you are going to loose then go down with a fight.

A noble and honourable stance indeed and one which guides me in every thing that I do.

Poetry can puts situtations into perspective in ways that other forms just can't.

I would be interested in hearing about some of your favourite poems and why?

No comments: