4/25/2006

Pope looking at condoms

I welcome the news that Pope Benedict XVI has authorised a document about condom use by those with AIDS.

Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragan, who is in charge of the Vatican’s healthcare ministry, told yesterday’s La Repubblica newspaper that “Soon the Vatican will issue a document about the use of condoms by persons who have grave diseases, starting with AIDS,”



“It is Benedict XVI who asked us for a study on this particular aspect of using a condom by those afflicted with AIDS and by those with infectious diseases.”

This is one of the main areas in which I disagree with the Church, I don't view condoms as evil, horrible to use but not evil. I don't have any ideological dispute with condoms as they provide a necessary protection against unwanted pregnancy and STD's.

I will however not accept the notion that Catholic teaching has lead to more people contracting AID's in Africa, the Church advocates sexual abstinence as the best way to combat the spread of the HIV virus. If this advice was followed then it would help defeat the curse of AID's.

This is however a positive step by the Church and I welcome it.

No comments: