4/08/2006

Never back the Royals!

I'm just sitting watching the replay of the Aintree Grand National after a very exciting race. Unfortunately there wasn't much luck in our household. My own fancy Clan Royal could only manage third, the aul fella's horse, Hedgehunter did one better but unfortunately we both had the joint favourites to win. With a fence or two to jump, I was on the edge of my seat thinking my horse was wonderfully placed to run on and win but unfortunately the other horses finished the better.

There was success for the Irish though as Numbersixvalverde ridden by Slippers Madden and trained by Martin Brassil won another Grand National for Ireland following in Hedgehunter's footsteps from last year. Funnily enough, my da had backed an Irish 1-2-3 at 25/1 and was within a whisker of collecting but unfortunately Clan Royal edeged out Nil Desperandum after a photo finish for third meant that the Irish finished 1-2-4. Strangely enough, Clan Royal had an Irish owner, jockey and trainer but the fact that it is trained on English soil by an Irish trainer means that its judged as an English horse. Still ya can't win them all! What an exciting event the Grand National is. It rarely makes a profit for me but it certainly always gives all viewers a bit of excitement!

No comments: