3/30/2006

British troops to head home


I realise I'm a couple of days late with this story but I just wanted to express my approval at the news that a timetable for the withdrawal of a huge number of British troops from the north has been anounced.

Obviously I'd like to see a situation where there were no British troops occupying the north, however this is certainly very welcome news. Its espicially good for my own part of the world as all 5 remaining watchtowers in South Armagh are to be taken down. This will be a great relief to the local population who have had to suffer the blight of these watchtowers for too long. Instead of having 40 bases with British troops in Ireland, we will now only have 14. Its great news for those who campaigned on this very important issue for so long as this is a fundemental part of creating a more "normal" society. I think I speak for the vast majority of people in South Armagh when I say that these soldiers will not be missed. I would agree entirely with Sinn Féin MP for Newry & Armagh Conor Murphy who said that he wanted "to see the job completed as quickly as possible."

No comments: