2/07/2006

Shame on you, Bertie

I'd like to add my support by the outrage which has been articulated by fellow blogger United Irelander at the news that taoiseach Bertie Ahern has turned down requests for Irish citizens in the six counties to be allowed vote to elect the President of Ireland, their own head of state. It is disgraceful that Irish citizens in the north cannot vote for their own President, espicially when you conisder that the current President, Mary McAleese also hails from the north. She was not even able to vote for herself in her election! This is the sort of thing that annoys me espicially when you consider that Fianna Fáil claim to be a Republican party. If that is true, then how about they engage in some Republican activities now and again?!

UI has urged people to email their criticism of this decision directly to Bertie Ahern at taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie. I realise some people might find it difficult to know exactly what to say so I thought I'd re-produce one email which has already been sent from United Irelander commentator, PopeBuckfastXVI.

Taoiseach,

I am writing to you to vocalise my support for the extension of voting rights in Irish Presidential elections to Irish people in Northern Ireland. The President of the Irish Nation should be elected by the Irish Nation.

May I remind you of Article 2 of our constitution..."It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation. That is also the entitlement of all persons otherwise qualified in accordance with law to be citizens of Ireland."

Please end this discrimination as soon as possible.

Regards,
________________

I'd encourage as many Balrog readers as possible to get involved in this worthy campaign. The Irish people in the six counties should not be excluded from this fundemental activity of the Irish nation. What we need is "A President for All".

No comments: