1/13/2006

Stan's the man

So its official. Steve Staunton is to be the new Irish international soccer manager, with former England boss Bobby Robson as his "international football consultant". My attitude is bit like that of Basil Fawlty to the EU , to quote Torquay's favourite hotelier "I didn't vote for it myself but we're in now and I'm determined to make the best of it!"

I would have loved if Martin O'Neill had made himselfl available for the job but of course, some things in life are more important than a game of football. Personally given the options available, I would have gone for Terry Venables but Steve has the job now. He was a great servant to Irish football and a former captain. I wish him all the best and hopefully he'll lead Ireland to the European Championships in Austria and Switzerland in 2008.

No comments: