1/11/2006

OTR legislation scrapped

Peter Hain has withdrawn the controversial OTR legislation from the House of Commons. Commenting on the news, Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams said that;

Today's decision by Mr Hain on the OTR issue is a recognition that the British government legislative proposal was unacceptable. It was a major breach of what was agreed at Weston Park and a serious act of bad faith by the British government. I told the British Prime Minister and the British Secretary of State Peter Hain directly that if the British government was not prepared to change the legislation to remove the inclusion of British state forces then the legislation should be withdrawn. They have now done so.

I'll comment on the issue in a more in depth manner in due course (its now almost half 11 and I'm nowhere near as far on with tonight's study as I'd planned). The only thing I will say is that I think a meaningful truth and reconciliation process with an appropriate forum for all parties to the conflict is the only way forward from here.

No comments: