1/15/2006

The meaning of Irish

I have seen with much amusement that academics from around the world are trying to figure out what it means to be Irish. Discussing the question at Dublin`s Trinity College, they reckon the Irish have sex appeal to rival the Italians - and are also proud of their native language.

Professor Thomas Ihde of the City University of New York, also said studying Gaeilge is becoming more common in the US.



Somebody please tell me why a bunch of academics get to decide the meaning of Irish?

I have never heard so much crap in all my life!

It's like asking What is the meaning of life ?

Every person you ask will have a different answer.

There is no single definition of what it means to be Irish. There are loads of different variations of Irish, which is what makes being Irish so great.

A Unionist is as much an Irishman as a Republican is. Ian Paisley has as much right to describe himself an Irishman as Gerry Adams has. I am Irish but I couldn't tell you what it means to be Irish because I don't know. I am an Irish Republican, a type of Irishman.

The single greatest thing that I look to as identifying my "Irishness" is the National flag.

Green, White and Orange at peace, all colours equal and neither side dominant.

I know many Unionists don't identify the National flag as theirs but I would hope that some of them would share what the flag symbolises.

What is your definition of Irish?

No comments: