12/31/2005

Hunger striker dies

I was saddened to learn about the untimely death of former 1981 Hunger Striker Matt Devlin. Sinn Féin General Secretary and MLA for Foyle Mitchel McLaughlin, has this evening expressed his sorrow at the death of former hunger striker Matt Devlin. Martin McGuinness has also expressed his sorrow at Matt's death.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
"It is with deep regret that I learned of the death of Tyrone Republican and Hunger striker Matt Devlin today. Matt was on both the blanket protest and the hunger strike in the summer of 1981.

"On behalf of Sinn Féin I want to extend my deepest sympathy to Matt's family and friends."


Matt lasted 52 days on Hunger Strike and joined the strike on 14 July 1981.

On behalf of the Balrog team I would like to offer Matt's family our deepest sympathies and indeed all of our Tyrone comrades during this difficult time.

A true Republican and comrade.

A chuit de Phàras da!

No comments: