12/27/2005

Alex Maskey suffers heart attack

When checking the comments section on balrog this evening, I was very shocked and saddened to see from MR's comments that former Lord Mayor of Belfast and Sinn Féin MLA, Alex Maskey suffered a heart attack earlier today. he is described as being in a stable condition in hospital. Obviously my thoughts are with Alex and his family at what must be a testing time. I've met Alex on a number of occasions and he is a very down-to-earth, friendly and civil man. He always thanks you for the effort you make on his behalf and having canvassed for him in areas where Sinn Fein wouldn't be traditionally strong, I know what an asset his inclusive approach to politics has been to the party.

I hope all Balrog readers will join with me in wishing ALex a full and speedy recovery. He will be in my thoughts this festive season. Hopefully ALex can show the same spirit in battling against this health setback as he did when suriving attempts on his life from Loyalust paramilitaries. Get well soon, Alex.

No comments: