Respect MP George Galloway today risked sparking further controversy by referring to insurgents fighting British and American troops in Iraq as "heroic"
Mr Galloway told the Sunday Herald: "I think the decision the Iraqis have made to resist foreign occupation is a heroic decision. The individual acts carried out by people in the name of resistance may or may not be heroic. Some are undoubtedly heroic.
The storming of a military barracks of a more powerful adversary in a classic guerrilla warfare operation is undoubtedly heroic. The bombing of children taking sweeties from an American soldier is clearly not heroic."
I have an awful lot of repect for George for a varity of reasons
1. He pisses of the British establishment and right wing press no end
2. He has a great line on the North, I heard him call it an "occupation, nothing less!!"
3. As someone who was quite active in the Anti-War movement I found his take on things second to none.
4. I have always enjoed debating and enjoy robust political clashes and he is a master. The way he took on the Americans on capital hill was a joy to watch.
5. Like Martin McGuiness, he doesn't take shit off Paxman!!
I have a few friends in the Trade Union movement who have the utmost respect for him.
He is one of those people
You either love him or loathe him!