6/27/2005

Dealing with the Issues.

Further to the debate on the flags thread, I have been asked to address a number of issues. One of these refers to the IRA's recent statement that they were repsonsible for the death of Kathleen Feeney in 1973. As a rule I tend to shy away from mounting defences of various incidents such as this, for the simple reason that it all happened so long before I was even born and so when people try to pin some sense of responsibility for these action on me as a modern day Republican, I am understandably wary. However since Madradin Ruad is a regular and well respected commentator on this site, I feel I should attempt to address the points he makes.

As far as the IRA statemnt at the time goes, yes it seems that it was untrue. This is unfortunate and caused the family unneccessary grief. However as far as political organisations go, the IRA is hardly the only one guilty of ever attempting to conceal the truth. The IRA has a reputation for being fortright and frank with its opinions, however unacceptable these may be to some. As with any statements when a person or organisation makes a statement it is up to the individual whether or not to believe him. I'm sure we have all told a lie of some sort in the past, yet would we accept this as justification if a friend of colleague refused ever to believe a thing we said?

The IRA could haave made life a lot easy for itself by simply ignoring this case and ignoring the wishes of the family by simplying never referring to this case again. No one can change the past but we can try to make the future better and I think the IRA took a very brave step in confronting this particular misdeed. The British government would do well to remember that all the victims of collusion want is a similar apology.

MR also wrote
I'm not having a dig at the language here - yours has the millstone of the Irish language hanging round your necks - a language you feel you should support but for most of you it's lip-service. Take away the things adopted when cultural nationalism was invented - Seán de Fréine has called this "an ingenious device of national parallellism" - and you are as British as any of the rest of us - in some ways more so.


I'm sorry but I simply don't see how I am British. I was born in Ireland, to irish parents. I have spoken Irish froma young age (long before i was involved in, or was even interested in politics I might add). I support Irish teams and am involved in Irish sports. I have friends from Donegal, Westmeath, Down, Derry and Dundalk. I see none of them as different from me in nationality. When I go to Scotland later this summer I feel as though I am going to someplace different from home, somewhere much more ailen than a trip across the border and i'm sure that in Edinburgh i will be seen as an "Irish tourist" not a fellow brit. People can label me as British if they so wish, but the cap just doesn't fit.

No comments: