4/04/2005

Wise words

The Irish News carried a number of short quotes from John Paul II today and I thought they were worthy of note.

An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded.

Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes.

I appeal to you in the language of passionate pleading. On my knees I beg you to turn away from the paths of violence and return to the paths of peace. Further violence in Ireland will only drag down to ruin the land you claim to love and the values you claim to cherish.

May no Irish Protestant think that the Pope is an enemy, a danger or a threat. My desire is that Protestants would see me as a friend and a brother in Christ.

The question confronting the Church today is not any longer whether the man in the street can grasp a religious message, but how to employ the communications media so as to let him have the full impact of the Gospel message.

Violence and arms can never resolve the problems of men.

War is a defeat for humanity. From now on it is only through a conscious choice and through a deliberate policy that humanity can survive.

I have a sweet tooth for song and music. This is my Polish sin

No comments: